DO from a US med school vs MD from the Caribbean

Support zu allgemeinen Themen
humpanaconda

DO from a US med school vs MD from the Caribbean

Beitragvon humpanaconda » Di 4. Dez 2018, 12:52

I was a little shocked to see on SDN some posts from premeds who say that they would pick Caribbean MD over US DO.

They seem to be hung up over the initials. I "get" that some are imagining that there would be less confusion from patients seeing MD rather than DO after their names, but they're skipping an important part....getting a US residency.

Bild

stunfappy

Re: DO from a US med school vs MD from the Caribbean

Beitragvon stunfappy » Di 4. Dez 2018, 12:54

humpanaconda hat geschrieben:I was a little shocked to see on SDN some posts from premeds who say that they would pick Caribbean MD over US DO.

They seem to be hung up over the initials. I "get" that some are imagining that there would be less confusion from patients seeing MD rather than DO after their names, but they're skipping an important part....getting a US residency.

Bild

Sure, you will be fine if you are top student in the school and score a 265 in step 1.

cowardicecomb

Beitragvon cowardicecomb » Di 4. Dez 2018, 12:57

Wow... I'd pick a US DO school over the Caribbean schools anytime. DO schools graduate doctors who are entitled to work in the US. Caribbean schools... just don't.

tacoscaddy

Beitragvon tacoscaddy » Di 4. Dez 2018, 12:58

With recent residency-program changes that place U.S. DOs on an equal footing with U.S. MDs, it is ever harder to be placed into a residency program from the Caribbean. But, then again, maybe you are one of those who regularly play the Lotto

humpanaconda

Beitragvon humpanaconda » Di 4. Dez 2018, 12:58

tacoscaddy hat geschrieben:With recent residency-program changes that place U.S. DOs on an equal footing with U.S. MDs, it is ever harder to be placed into a residency program from the Caribbean. But, then again, maybe you are one of those who regularly play the Lotto

I agree with all of the above.

Yes, there are some top kids at Caribbean schools who then manage to have top Step and get US residencies, but good heavens..... all of that risk just to have MD instead of DO after one's name?

Frankly, I wish DO schools would be MD schools to get rid of this crazy confusion.

stunfappy

Beitragvon stunfappy » Di 4. Dez 2018, 12:59

US DO and not even close. Pre-meds on SDN are not a group I would put any stock in when it comes to good knowledge/advice/sense

cowardicecomb

Beitragvon cowardicecomb » Di 4. Dez 2018, 12:59

stunfappy hat geschrieben:US DO and not even close. Pre-meds on SDN are not a group I would put any stock in when it comes to good knowledge/advice/sense

Totally agree.

I just brought this up in case some lurkers might be thinking the same thing.

tacoscaddy

Beitragvon tacoscaddy » Di 4. Dez 2018, 13:00

To other lurkers, there's maybe 5 people on SDN that I would trust to dole out pre-med advice (LizzyM and Goro are the 2 that come to mind immediately, I'd recognize the others if I saw their names) and I can guarantee that none of them would advocate caribbean over DO.

The majority of the pre-med section on SDN is people displacing their negative emotions surrounding the whole process onto other posters.

LiamMason

Beitragvon LiamMason » Mi 5. Dez 2018, 06:35

One other great benefit of getting educated at a Caribbean medical university is that it offers Offshore Clinical Rotations to all students who are attending college within their respective institutions. They offer them a chance to travel abroad, so that they can gain more hands-on experience from hospitals across recognized countries, such as USA and Canada. Now, if you are a native, what more do you want other than traveling back to your hometown and getting the exact clinical rotation that a Harvard University graduate is getting from a local medical facility.

Zurück zu „Support“