Diamond core drills

Hier kann sich auch zu anderen Themen ausgetauscht werden
LiamMason

Diamond core drills

Beitragvon LiamMason » Mi 5. Dez 2018, 09:51

Hi everyone.
I represent a company who manufacture and distribute drilling and trade solutions which are particularly popular with electricians. I'll not name them so as not to advertise on here.:smiley2:
We have a dry diamond core drill kit in our portfolio which sells very well but I feel that the sizes are more geared towards plumbers. They are 42mm, 52mm, 65mm, 117mm, and 127mm. I can see where you would use the 2 large cores but what about the smaller 3? Are they any use?
I have had a look around and most people tend to sell these kits with similar sizes in.
We would like to bring out a kit that is more geared towards you guys. Therefore I would like to ask what sizes would you like to see in there and what for?
Thanks for your time reading this and I hope you can help.

FizzenMuumuu

Re: Diamond core drills

Beitragvon FizzenMuumuu » Mi 5. Dez 2018, 09:52

I guess the most common sizes we would use would be coring holes for extract fans etc. I guess the most common sizes would be 102mm (4”), 152mm (6”). I sometimes use a 38mm (1 ½”) to core holes to plastic sleeve cables etc through walls.

I would say the 102mm would be the most commonly used core bit size.

tacoscaddy

Beitragvon tacoscaddy » Mi 5. Dez 2018, 09:54

Come on fellas, 163 views and only 1 reply? (Cheers BigSi).
This type of research is how products get to market and how you guys get what you want.
Surely some of you have looked at these kits and thought "It's OK, but it would be better if it had these sizes in".
I'm not having a go, I was genuinely interested what you thought. I wanted to hear it from the horses mouth rather than me tell my bosses what you want.
If you can find the time, fellas, replies would be appreciated.
Cheers.

FizzenMuumuu

Beitragvon FizzenMuumuu » Mi 5. Dez 2018, 09:54

LiamMason hat geschrieben:Hi everyone.
I represent a company who manufacture and distribute drilling and trade solutions which are particularly popular with electricians. I'll not name them so as not to advertise on here.:smiley2:
We have a dry diamond core drill kit in our portfolio which sells very well but I feel that the sizes are more geared towards plumbers. They are 42mm, 52mm, 65mm, 117mm, and 127mm. I can see where you would use the 2 large cores but what about the smaller 3? Are they any use?
I have had a look around and most people tend to sell these kits with similar sizes in.
We would like to bring out a kit that is more geared towards you guys. Therefore I would like to ask what sizes would you like to see in there and what for?

As BigSi says. Also I sometimes drill holes for flues....not normal electrician work I know but I will take whatever work I can get, so whatever size that needs too!

LiamMason

Beitragvon LiamMason » Mi 5. Dez 2018, 09:54

FizzenMuumuu hat geschrieben:I guess the most common sizes we would use would be coring holes for extract fans etc. I guess the most common sizes would be 102mm (4”), 152mm (6”). I sometimes use a 38mm (1 ½”) to core holes to plastic sleeve cables etc through walls.

I would say the 102mm would be the most commonly used core bit size.

The size I use most is 117mm. This is just a little larger than 110mm soil pipe (used for extract ducting) and most 4 inch nominal ducting, leaving a small gap all round to squeeze some sealant in. Could be a little smaller but not much. Only other core drill size I've used was a 65mm to get some corrugated flexible underground ducting through a wall.

tacoscaddy

Beitragvon tacoscaddy » Mi 5. Dez 2018, 09:55

LiamMason hat geschrieben:Hi everyone.

4 and 6 inch. And are they any good on concrete as I have a load of cores to cut in a concrete built house?

FizzenMuumuu

Beitragvon FizzenMuumuu » Mi 5. Dez 2018, 09:55

Have got a 5 inch that I use sometimes too, always tap it with a hammer before I use it cos someone told me you should :goofy:

LiamMason

Beitragvon LiamMason » Mi 5. Dez 2018, 09:56

Depends on the grade of concrete and whether there is any reinforcing bar present. A common misconception regarding dry diamond core drills is that they can cope with any masonry material including engineering brick and hard concrete.
With most dry diamond cores on the market this is not the case, as they are only geared up for drilling in soft concrete, the softer end bricks and medium density blockwork. If these types of cores are used in the hardest materials, the diamond segments will "gloss up" and you'll notice they just get red and get hot. This will seriously damage the diamond segment. You can, however, sometimes rescue a "glossed up" core drill by sending it through a more abrasive masonry material such as a medium density block (breeze block, cinder block, call it what you will). This re-exposes the diamond crystals that have become covered over.
For hard concrete etc. you need to either use tungsten carbide tipped core drills on rotary and impact, professional dry diamond core drills or even wet diamond core drills.
In summary, diamond drilling is a lot more complex than most people realise and there are many different grades of diamond segments on core drills, some of which are unsuitable for harder masonry materials.

tacoscaddy

Beitragvon tacoscaddy » Mi 5. Dez 2018, 09:56

FizzenMuumuu hat geschrieben:Have got a 5 inch that I use sometimes too, always tap it with a hammer before I use it cos someone told me you should :goofy:

I've never tapped my 5 inch with a hammer:wink:

The only possible reason I can think someone might tell you to do this is to "ring test" it. If it "rings" then the core barrel is in good condition. If it sounds dull and thuds rather than rings then the barrel is cracked and should not be used.

Zurück zu „Plauderecke“